Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Mud Cocktail

This cocktail came about because I wanted to make a Blood & Sand but lacked a fresh orange. So I improvised. These proportions make a slightly large cocktail at just over 4 ounces - it'll fit in most big modern cocktail glasses, but if you have smaller ones (or if you want a more reasonably sized one) you may want to cut back. I left them this big just because it was the only way to get round number; when I actually made this, I split it between two glasses. You can change the bourbons if you'd like; I used the Bulleit to give the Maker's Mark a bit more bite, because Bulleit is more rye-forward than Maker's Mark (which is more wheat-forward).The chocolate bitters are what transforms this drink - don't leave them out!

The Mud Cocktail
  • 1 oz fresh grapefruit juice
  • 1/2 oz Bulleit Bourbon
  • 3/4 oz Makers Mark Bourbon
  • 3/4 oz Cherry Heering
  • 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth (I used Martini & Rossi)
  • 4-5 dashes chocolate bitters (I used The Bitter Truth Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters)

Combine all ingredients in shaker, generously add ice. Shake and strain into a large, chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a grapefruit twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment